Really High latency numbers and disconnects on Xbox One

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sgt_rawk, Feb 5, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

#1 Sgt_rawk, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Hi all,

Bear with me on this one, it will take me a bit to explain.

I have been running an Xbox 360 on wireless network in a two storey unit for a while. I never really had any issues with dropping off xbl or indeed problems with lag.
    I am now the proud owner an Xbox one. Ever since I have been dropping off xbl quite a bit. The xbox one sits in exactly the same place as the 360 and is on the same wireless network. So evidence thus far points to the Xbox One being the culprit.
    So, having had enough of the drop offs I:
    1. have given the xbox one a static ip
    2. opened up all the ports for the xbox one and
    3.have had the ISP lower my latency as much as possible

No dice, no change. So...and this is where it gets interesting. I looked at the results Xbox one gave me on the performance of the network. The latency (ping) was 201?? What tha? So I did a speedtest with my laptop sitting in the same wireless network sitting in the same location as the xbox one and lo and behold the latency (ping) was 19. So either the xbox wireless antennas suck or there is something else going on.

The question is does anyone else have the experience of xbox one recording a really high latency that shouldn't really be there?

Footnote, connected xbox one via ethernet to the network...latency (ping) 191?? What tha? So hardwired to the network makes no f**king difference???

Footfootnote - just did speedtest from same point via ethernet with laptop ping, ready? 9

Any and all feedback, rants and whinges will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks all

Shane

2. xX1NORM1Xx

xX1NORM1Xx Generation 1

Hey I had the exact same problem couldn't even finish one game of ghosts I tried all the port forwarding and everything but the thing that fixed it for me was a power line adapter if u are not familiar it is a set of two plugs that you plug an Ethernet cable into and then u plug one into a modem/router and the other into ur Xbox one it basically turns the wires in ur walls into a big Ethernet cable and allows wired connections wherever u are in the house but it depends on how ur house is wired I just took a guess and it worked so do some research on them

3. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

That's not really a fix for him though. It sounds more like the Xbox 1's wireless cards suck. Which is truly inexcusable since a decent intel wireless card for a laptop is what, $20? To end-users? Corporate gets them cheaper.

4. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Funny you should say that...the ethernet connection is into a powerline adapter set up that i just got today...and as I mentioned the ping with my laptop through it was like 9 and the ping when I went through the speedtest on xbox one was like 191...weird huh...

5. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yeah, but even hooked up on ethernet it still shows an unacceptably high ping and it really shouldn't, not unless the xbl servers are like in antarctica or something...ha!

6. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

If you're getting high pings and disconnects on hardwire then your Xbox is at fault. As a general rule of thumb if something you can see & physically use (aka your hardwire cable and connection) works well in multiple places and then badly in one place, that one place is usually at fault.

7. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yeah...but wft do I do? The xbox one works. What do I say when I take it back? Its returns high latency and falls off xbl alot. They'll laugh at me and say my internet sucks...I will play for a while with it connected via ethernet and see if I still fall of xbl or not, I played some ghosts tonight and the connection seemed ok...just had a few deaths where I thought I died a little too quick...but hey...thats CoD :) I have noticed others on xbox forums saying they get a really high ping with xbox one and they didn't with 360...maybe its just a quirk of xbox and my location? Does anyone know where the xbl servers in Australia live?

8. D2ultima

D2ultima Generation 4

You're in australia... well no wonder your ping is so high. Microsoft stated before that their system would not be fully ready server-wise worldwide upon release. So your 200 latency makes sense; they probably have no servers for you yet.

But the disconnections is a real problem. You could call your store and say your machine drops out of XBL a lot on wifi, but your 360 and your laptop in the same spot have no issues. They might tell you to trade it in. If they don't you could do more research. This is quite a small forum and not the best place to ask for these kinds of things, to be honest. The weirder your tech issue the more people giving input the better, trolls notwithstanding.

9. WhoIsDo

WhoIsDo Generation 7
    Administrator

Whoa, that's really strange that you'd connect it via a wire and still see that high of a ping. For Australia, the nearest server is in Singapore (I believe). I've been checking things out and it looks like Respawn has been pushing Microsoft to add data centers/servers in Australia to help alleviate this issue.

Definitely sucks now, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you won't have to deal with it much longer!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Just spent 30 of the most frustrating minutes of my life online with MS. I am no closer to working it out. Its weird, they wouldn't tell me where the nearest server is to Sydney, they just kept saying the server (singular) is global, to which I said, you mean the servers...but no, they kept saying they have a global server. Which was pretty funny. After I knocked down every fix the drone had on the list, they said that I needed to put it in to be tested. They also said they had an Xbox one there and it had no latency issues. I asked they where they were and they replied Microsoft Asia HQ or something like that, to which I replied, well I am not surprised you have no latency, you are more than likely sitting on the server I am pinging off...anyways...here's hoping for improvement...thanks to all who responded...