Shouldn't Titans Be The Centerpiece?

Discussion in 'General Titanfall discussion' started by ensc, Feb 4, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

In a game named Titanfall, shouldn't titans be the centerpiece of the game? Shouldn't they be the most important feature of the game? Shouldn't they be the main thing you are fantasizing about when you are at work or school and can't wait to get home and play the game?

This is why I love these forums, because it was only after having some rigorous debates in some other threads and reading others' arguments, comments, concerns and disappointments, that a light bulb finally went off in my head that the title of this thread is what encapsulates the main question we should be asking. I believe and I think most would agree that the answer to that question can only be a resounding YES!!!

If the answer is yes, then let's ask two more questions:

1) Were titans the centerpiece in TF1? I would say yes. I very much enjoyed playing as a pilot or in a titan equally, but when I got in my titan, I felt invincible and I felt like I could express myself in ways that made me feel like nothing else in any other game had ever made me feel.

2) Were titans the centerpiece in TF2? I would say no. They were slowed down, made weaker, had their regenerating shields removed and their custom loadouts removed, it took longer to get one and they did not last as long. They were essentially relegated to being a temporary boost in the game for most people. Definitely not the centerpiece though.

This was very enlightening to me and I believe it clearly displays and is the best argument to make that they went in the exact opposite direction from where they should have gone. To demonstrate this, let's ask two more questions:

1) What made titans the centerpiece in TF1? I would say the combination of the speed, strength, regenerating shields, custom loadouts and the fact that everyone got a new one every few minutes. All of this combined gave you a feeling of freedom, invincibility and power

2) What would have been the correct direction to go in to make titans be even more of the centerpiece in TF2? I would say they should have been put onto even larger maps and given more speed, more strength, stronger regenerating shields and even more customization in their loadouts. I think those larger maps should have had giant walls on the outside, sort of like some of the walls on the outside of parts of Angel City and the titans should have been given the ability to wallrun on those.

I believe this would have held true to what was the beautiful uniqueness that was at the heart of TF1, but it would have built on it and extended it to allow you to feel even more free and it would have allowed you to express yourself even more than the first one. I believe this would have made for an epic game that you would be daydreaming about all of the time whenever you weren't able to actually be playing it. I believe this would have made the titans even more of the centerpiece as they should be in a game named Titanfall.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Omega82

Omega82 Generation 5

The only thing I would say is how popular do you think a majority mech game could rreally be ? Like numbers wise , sales wise ? For consoles I don't ever recall ever seeing a mech game or getting one , BUT I do agree they are very fun especially the titans. But I think mech games have been more of a PC game. However if the company had in mind they wanted to return themselves and their game to the top of the market I'm not sure enough people are attracted to a mech game to reach those high numbers they wanted. Which is why to help this game grow I think the decision was to focus the pilots more because that is the most popular thing in today's gaming industry , the "shooter" part that you hate lol.

Your vision of the way titanfall SHOULD be I still think is great and extremely revolutionary and unique. And I think the game would be a masterpiece. But if you see what's out there now ALOT of people don't know what a good game is or what a good movie is or what good music is people's standards have completely been watered down and they don't know if they are coming or going. I have seen brilliant games like metal gear or brilliant movies just get hated on so much or brushed aside , so a lot of people don't even know what's good anymore.

But like in theory respawn giving players options to be great with pilots and great with Titans I thought should be a very good idea. They have sort of balanced both almost equally now. The thing is the game has still underachieved so I just don't get it. Putting more content in the game you would think can help this franchise but who really knows at this point. They are going against the MACHINE that is call of crap. People are brainwashed to look to that game first. Half of those sales that infinite warfare got should have went straight to titanfall, infinite warfare is complete dog S... compared to titanfall.

3. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Mech games don't sell well in America, never have.

As for the Titans not being the centerpiece in Titanfall 2, I disagree. In Titanfall 1, Titans felt like more of a 'scorestreak' to me. It was like you played for a while and then you got your scorestreak. In Titanfall 2, I feel a genuine connection with my Titan. It feels like he is part of the Pilots DNA.. it's hard to explain what I'm trying to say.

In Titanfall 1, you had the option of choosing stuff but there was absolutely no personality, just felt like you were getting into a hunk of metal. They focused on the Titans in Titanfall 2 creating 6 individual, named, unique Titans that all perform beautifully in their given environment.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

I am so tired of hearing that. That and that TF1 lacked content for not having a Single Player (that occupies 10 hours) or not having camo (which changes nothing about the beautifully functionality the first game had).

The "Mech games don't sell" and "TF1 lacked content" sound like what you hear from the media on almost anything, just talking points that get parroted over and over again and then people who may not even know anything about the subject have heard them so much that they just start repeating them too even though there is absolutely no truth to them.

If a Mech game was done right in the way I'm describing here, it would sell well when people saw and realized how epic it could be:
    But NOOOO, this game and these developers went in the exact opposite direction and now it feels like you are slogging through molasses in your titan and if they do make a TF3 they will probably use this bogged down version as the launching point, so now we just never will know, will we? And the talking points will just drone on and on and on..."CAW...Mech games don't sell...CAW...Mech games don't sell"

5. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Alright.. name me one mech game that did well in America and I mean a game that was a huge commercial success.

6. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

OK, that would be Titanfall (or TF1). When you consider that some of the Call of Duty games (even after having huge name recognition) only sold around 15 million units, then for Titanfall to sell 10 million units on it's first attempt was a huge success in my opinion.

Now if you had cranked up the titan play 10 notches as I would have done and created an epic titan game, you could have started breaking into some Call of Duty type sales units territory.

Instead, they went the other way, made the titans less relevant (and even with having some name recognition) are sitting at around 4 million units for TF2.

7. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Well the Call of Duty name recognition transferred over to the very first Titanfall being that almost the same exact people who created Call of Duty created Titanfall. So you have to take that into account, a lot of their fans were coming over from Call of Duty. You also have to take into account that the game released in March alongside basically ZERO other competitive MP games. Also, of course Titanfall 1 sold 10 million units but couldn't keep a steady userbase for even a year because people just aren't interested in Mech games. ;)

Don't take that the wrong way, I absolutely love Titanfall. Just pointing some stuff out for ya.

8. Trini Chinese

Trini Chinese Generation 7

WHAT ! , are you sure you played Titanfall 1 .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trini Chinese

Wrong , it was not because that gamers aren't interested in mech games , it was the lack of content . titanfall 1 was not a huge success because of that and the limited demographic it was exposed to.
    they made a game that the titans felt like an extension of the pilot or player. hence the fps shots in the game. not a clunky tank on legs but a suit of armor to move and fell like the titan were your arms and legs.

they could not keep a steady user base because there were other games with way more depth and content in them .

10. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Positive as proven by 100% everything there was to do.

Wrong lmao. Go ahead and take a look at the games that released in March of 2014...

11. Trini Chinese

so you being a huge fan of titanfall you rather they focus on pilot and fps game modes because like you put it , mech games don't sell well in america, and because of this gamers should not want to play a game like titanfall for the titans but for the pilots .

12. Trini Chinese

so you think or know that just because the game was launched by it's self in march was the reason for it's down fall and not a lack f content. lol dude lol .

13. Trini Chinese

????????????

14. Trini Chinese

what exactly are you trying to point out ?

15. Trini Chinese

dude just because games did not launch at the same time with titanfall , that does not mean that there were not games before and after that kept gamers interested in what they had compared to what tf1 had at the time . lol so what are you trying to say , really ?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

You can make one reply bro, you don't need to post 4 times in a row.

I didn't say I wanted them to focus on PvP, I happen to like PvP when it comes to fast, round based elimination. Personally, I don't even play PvP now, I'm mainly playing Attrition.

I didn't say it releasing in March was the reason for it's downfall dude... I said releasing in March gained it a lot of traction because there was basically absolutely nothing else in that time frame that people who play games like Titanfall would be playing.

You said I didn't play Titanfall 1. I've played Titanfall 1 ALOT. I was pointing out to you that I was Gen 10, Diamond Level 5, every single achievement, every single challenge, everything unlocked.

Reasons why Titanfall 1 sold 10 million units but didn't sustain the interest of many people.

The next game that released that would have took people away from TF1 was 8 months later when the newest Call of Duty game launched, coincidentally, that's when the population started to die.

17. Trini Chinese

Ohhhhh , lol , you do have some valid points on certain things . other than that i don't really know what to say to you bro lol .

18. ensc

ensc Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

Those are contradictory statements, because 10 million units is selling pretty darn well.

Also, as far as the user base goes, two points on that:
    1) Contrary to the parroted talking points of "lack of content" and as you say "people aren't interested in Mech games", the main reasons the TF1 user base dropped off were non-existent matchmaking and no anticheat system. When new players get steamrolled before they can even get started, who wants to stay for that crap?
    2) We are sitting at 2 years and almost 11 months after the launch of TF1 and you can STILL get an Attrition or Campaign game any time you want and can usually even get a Hardpoint Domination game during the daytime on weekends. We weren't even 2 full months into TF2 and the Amped Hardpoint lobby on the PC was essentially dead. Therefore, I think TF1 has done a really nice job of maintaining a consistent, dependable and steady user base.

19. Ik0n88x

Ik0n88x Generation 7
    Elite Pilot

It didn't sell like that because it was a mech game, I pointed out the reason it sold like that at first. A lot of Call of Duty fans followed Vince Zampella and they released in a window with no other games which he even said himself.

1). You're talking about PC because there was no matchmaking or cheating issues on console so I can't relate to what happened on PC.
    2). There is a lot more playlists in Titanfall 2 which divides the playerbase even more. I'm sure you can get an Attrition game just fine on PC right now. When I was playing Titanfall 1 and decided to go in a playlist that didn't have a lot of people (around 30) on console I still got into games just fine, it was just usually always against the same people.

20. Sgt_rawk

Sgt_rawk Generation 7

Yeah agree with this entirely. Nice one.